embarking on the greatest yatra of all times - the yatra of the Mahabharata

Mahabharata - Adi Parva 

Om Namo Narayanaya. Om Gana Ganeshaya Namaha. Sri Saraswati Namostute.

I salute Narayana as Nara and Narayana. I salute Ganesha while I embark on writing the Mahabharata as a yatra, for I would attempt to explore the great epic written by Ganesha, thyself. I salute Goddess Saraswati in allowing me the ability, knowledge, understanding and the panorama of the Mahabharata.


embarking on the greatest yatra of all times - 
the yatra of the Mahabharata
[Mahabharata: Adi Parva 0:0]

vyasam vasisthanaptaram sakteh pautramakalmasam
parasaratmajam vande sukatatam taponidhim

I bow to Vyasa, the treasure of penance, devoid of kalmasa,
father of Suka, son of Parasara, grandson of Sakti and great-grandson of Vasistha

The Mahabharata of Krishna Dwaipayana Vyasa, or as we know him over these many years, Veda Vyasa, or Maharishi Veda Vyasa, originally written as an epic poem in Sanskrit, was truly translated in English in its entirety, accurately and faithfully by very few writers until 1880. One of the earliest complete and tremendously accurate translations was by Pratap Chandra Roy, CIE and Kisari Mohan Ganguli, sometime during 1883 to 1896, published by Oriental Publishing Company at Calcutta, available in twelve volumes and in a single comprehensive volume.

It is difficult not to be swayed by the many authors who have presented their interpretation of the Mahabharata since P. C. Roy and K. M. Ganguli. I hope to be blessed by them, one and all, in my very humble attempt to submit my text of the Mahabharata.

I bow to the greatest poet of all times. I bow to the greatest poet of all times, of all lands and of all aspects. I bow to the greatest author and storyteller of all times. I bow to the greatest analyst and greatest writer of all times. There is none after him who could even singlehandedly or with a team translate all the documents that he has written.

I would fail in my life if I would not even attempt to start. My life would have no meaning if I did not even try to embark on this yatra.

I bow to the great Maharishi Veda Vyasa and seek his permission, blessings and support as I embark on the yatra of the Mahabharata.

[14.12.2013]

No comments:

Post a Comment